April 6, 2010

'K & A's Big Adventure'

I was thinking about my last post on Naturally Sweet and realized that I spend most of my life waiting for something. Waiting to see a doctor, for cawfee, waiting at traffic lights, for apologies, waiting on a friend, for the weekend, for other people, for my next vacation, for a flight, for 6pm, waiting for dinner to be ready, waiting for Mr. Right....oh, wait...I married Mr. Right and it was a colossal disaster. Umm...waiting for Mr. Maybe?

We must spend years of our lives simply waiting. What's even more sad than that is how much time we spend working. With all the waiting and working, I'm surprised anyone is living. Hmmm...something to ponder, ey?

Check out this chart on the use of time in an average work day. Pretty interesting. For more statistics, check out BLS.
















So, I usually entertain myself while waiting. The entertainment usually varies between my blueberry, the internet, people watching...anything really because my mind is so very random. For example, Amanda & I were waiting in the airport. I was people watching because my phone was dying. I realized that I make up names for people. Complete strangers. I thought I only made up nicknames for people I know but nope. I do it for strangers, too. Sometimes they are very clever, like 'Kryptonite' or 'The Lollipop Guild'. Sometimes they are not, like 'Neck Beard' or 'Fatty'.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who does this. I Give Strangers Nicknames That is awesomely funny! I may have to join! Amanda, on the other hand, was making up songs. All of the sudden she burst out in song about the suitcases crashing into each other on the carousel. It was so hysterical that both of us just burst out laughing at the baggage claim. I wish I could remember the words to her little ditty because I'd post it and laugh all over again.

Seattle was fantastic, what we saw of it. My cousin told me that we should have stayed longer and she was right. It was beautiful, cool, exciting. I just wish I had more time to explore. I am SO ready to get out of Las Vegas, though. I always have been. But I am also scared, nervous and stressed to leave. I guess that's normal since the most stressful life events are moving, losing your job and divorce. I'm ranking 2 out of 3. Wooo! Did you know the fear of moving actually has a name! It's called Tropophobia. Huh. Well, I don't know that my fear ranks a proper name. I'm just worried. Moving is scary. Not actually moving...der!...but relocating. The unfamiliar, the new, packing, unpacking, finding a place to live, friends, schools, Amanda. Sigh. I know it's stressful for her, too. We have been trying to look at everything as an adventure. I mean, like Helen Keller said 'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.'

Henceforth, this topic shall be called 'K & A's Big Adventure'. We're just like Pee Wee, but better because we don't masturbate in theaters. :D



'K & A's Big Adventure' is just beginning but has actually been taking root for quite some time. I had always planned on leaving Las Vegas as soon as Amanda graduated high school. Amanda has always planned on leaving for college. That's still the plan unless life dictates otherwise. The City has declared it will lay off 203 positions by June 18th. My position is on the list. If I happen to squeeze by unnoticed this round, another lay off round will directly follow where I probably won't be so lucky.

Is it luck, though, really? I am not happy where I am. I do not feel safe or valued where I am. My potential and skills are certainly not being utilized. They never were. I don't know that I want to work in a organization that would choose to lay off people who have children, diseases, homes, & bills rather than taking alternative steps to help with their budget problem. Notice I say 'their' problem. I did not put them into debt. I just accepted a job offer. I firmly believe that they could have charged a portion for benefits, put mandatory furloughs on the board, stopped buying lunches, stopped attending conferences, cut their salary. Gasp! Cut their salary?!?! Heaven forbid.

But, I don't want this to turn into an embittered post about the selfishness and inhumanity of some people. No. Let's go back to 'Is it luck, though, really?' It may be luck that I do get laid off. The Universe may see something that I do not. Like, my wish of leaving granted. A new, fresh, exciting start on life. Beautiful and amazing things on the horizon. Doing something and being somewhere I love. I think we get so stuck in a rut doing the same things day after day after day that we forget how to truly live. I don't want to forget.



















Oh, by the way, this goes out to the guy who sat next to me at the airport nomming on a chicken salad plate. You shall forever be known as 'Nose Breather'.

*Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment