October 15, 2009

Life's Not Fair

I’ve been saying that a lot recently. As if I’ve reverted back to a 5 year old who wasn’t allowed to grab a cookie from the cookie jar.






















I’ve been behaving like a spoiled child who cannot have what she so desperately wants. Have you ever felt like that? Wanting something so madly and deeply but knowing damn well that it will never happen? It truly sucks and makes me want to scream.
















I repeat, life is not fair. And yes, that is me throwing a fit. Apparently, this happens a lot. haha!

If you look and really want to see, you will find unfairness all around. Your friend has a chronic disease, but there’s a smoker who is destroying his healthy body. You work hard every day but don’t get the promotion, raise or respect you deserve. You love someone completely only to find out they do not love you in return. You lost something or someone so precious that you aren’t sure how you will ever survive.

Yea, life certainly throws us some curveballs but what can you do? Bad things happen to good people. Good things happen to bad people. It’s all around you, the unfairness. It’s everywhere.

“Life is never fair, and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not.” ~Oscar Wilde.

So, what can you do? Well, you can sit around and do nothing, of course. That’s easy. You can be sad, bitter, angry and frustrated. That’s fun. You can feel hopeless and helpless and contemplate the impossibility. That’s pathetic. Or…you can accept what is and find a way to make it fair. Or….you can change your thought process and know that everything will be ok. Or…you can learn and grow into something more wonderful than you already are.



Things you can do when life is unfair:

*Allow it to allow you to learn from your mistakes, live for the moment, love to the fullest and appreciate the quality of those you have in your life.

*Allow it to let you see the humor in life, the greatness and the adventure.

*Allow it to motivate you to do something bigger, right a wrong or be proactive.

*Allow it to help you to deal with pain, accept what is and appreciate what you have.

*Allow it to have you experience new things, push yourself to a new limit or learn to let it go.

Here’s another quote for you:

‘Sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.’ ~Dalai Lama.

Again, that Dalai knows his shiz. Wouldn’t it have been grand to be his friend? I think so. :)

I am not a person who deals well with sadness. I’m not. I know no one likes being sad but it literally goes against all that I am. I am rarely sad but when I am, it’s like an implosion. In this moment, right now, I am sad.



I let the sadness have it's way for a week. I let it take control. I know that I can’t have what I want, at least, not right now. In fact, it may be that I can never have what I want. It also may be that one day I will. Who truly knows what life has in store for any of us?

So, instead of being mopey over it, I am going to try to focus on the things that I do have. I will allow the unfairness to allow me to appreciate what is fair in my life…and what is wonderfully & truly amazing. Perhaps you should, too. We can do it together. Because even in life's darkest moments, there is light.

*Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment