August 19, 2009

Back to School.

School starts this Monday for those poor unfortunate souls that live in Las Vegas. I know that back east; kids still have a couple more weeks of summer bliss. School always started on Sept. 7th or 9th. I remember this because the first day of school was either on my brother’s birthday or my dad’s birthday. It was much more fun when it was on my brother’s birthday because anything to pester him made me laugh & feel superior. I am almost 41 and I still want to sing “Jesse’s Girl” to him simply to watch him cringe. Monday is Amanda’s birthday. Ugh. Happy Birthday, baby. It’s not as fun to pester her about it. I actually feel bad but still won’t apologize to my brother for making fun of him. Haha! But, I digress. School!!

I was on vacation last week. Big deal. This wasn’t a fun vacation; this was a ‘to-do’ list vacation. I get more rest at work than I got while I was on vacay. Psh! So, Miss Amanda got a job at Retro Bakery. You can visit Retro’s website here & check out all the yummy goodness: Retro Bakery

You can also verbally delight yourself with Kerri’s blog here: Building A Bakery

Hi, Kerri! Thanks for hiring Amanda. You can fire her or yell at her and I will still be your friend and buy your super delish cupcakes. When I am back on the sauce, that is.

Anyway, my ‘to-do’ list consisted of getting Amanda a workers permit & a health card in order to begin at Retro. Then, I needed my license renewed and we also needed to go school shopping. I don’t even want to type the dollar amount that I spent. To do so would be blasphemy. Let’s just say….I won’t be spending much money at Disneyland this weekend….or in NY next month…..or for the Halloween party…..or for Christmas gifts…..sigh….digressing again…so sorry.

I know many of you remember the school ‘smell’. That chalk, paste & pencil shavings smell which instantly catapults you back in time to Elementary school. But, the bus had its own special feeling. Does anyone remember the school bus smell? It smelled of tires, rusty metal and farts. I loathed the bus. You always had to sit next to some weirdo. You had to do battle to open a window because the latches would never work properly. You would always see the driver peering at you through that long ass mirror. I had a bus driver that would sing threatening songs to us. “Sit down! Turn around! Don’t make pull over!” Obviously, she couldn’t rhyme but her point was still made. We sat in stinky silence all the live long way. I wish my bus ride would have been more like the Sixteen Candles Bus Scene. That would have been awesome.

In honor of ‘Back to School’, I’ve picked out some things to pass on to all the teen ladies. Important things that I would tell my teenage self, if only I could. Of course, I can’t, so I’m telling you. Please listen.

Break ups aren’t the end of the world. When you become an adult, you won’t even remember or speak to 90% of your school mates. (unless you join Facebook.) This is the time where you learn about relationships. It’s not necessarily the time you find ‘the one’.

Appreciate your girlfriends. Always remain true to the girl team. Do not let boys ruin or interfere and don't place a friendship on hold for a boy. Stick together because chances are those girlfriends will last a lot longer than those boy friends.

Love your body. Know that you are beautiful, thin and fantastic. You may be beating yourself up for being a size 1 with an A cup breast size but you won’t always. When you hit 35 and everything enlarges and starts going south you will wish you had known how fabulous you were. So know that you look good and that somewhere someone wishes they looked like you.

Also, take care of your body. The choices you make now will affect you in the future. Beauty is not eternal and health is not secure. Eat right, exercise, use sunscreen, get into the habit of treating yourself properly. Start now. Right now. Go.

It’s OK to say no. Peer pressure is just a way of getting you to do things you wouldn’t normally do so don’t fall for it. Be your own person because who you are is absolutely good enough. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad about yourself or your decisions either. You are awesome. The end.

The memories you are making are priceless. So make good ones that include all the things you love. Friends, laughter, cupcakes, roller coasters, high school, family…live your life with sweet abandonment and enjoy every single moment. You will never get those moments back.

Be. A. Kid. Adulthood sucks. You have less time to be silly & have fun than you do to work & be responsible, so embrace it. Laugh, giggle, have slumber parties, eat cake, go to the park and swing. Know that life is easier & more fantastic as a kid so don’t rush into adulthood and miss all that joy.

I’m sure there are more but I’m kinda done for the day. I have to leave work, pick up Amanda & take her to high school. Today she gets her class schedule & I get to pay for a bunch of stuff. Yay! Good times.

Click here for some vacation pictures. My Vacay

*Peace!

1 comment:

  1. I love your advice. I just find everyone is rushing to grow up way to fast! :(

    ReplyDelete