July 29, 2009

Why Can't You Be Blue Over Me?

I can’t help but wonder how many people love their job. Exactly how many people actually look forward to going to work every day? I don’t. I wish I did. But I don’t.

I think it’s funny how when you are young, the number one question any adult will ask is ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?’ The answer changes often. A teacher! No, a doctor! No, a fireman! No, a marine biologist! No, a photographer! No, a clown!! 9 times out of 10 you end up being none of those things. Cripes! 9 times out of 10 you aren’t even working in the same field in which you got your college degree.

So, why do we do it? Has adulthood become all about titles, salary and status and less about passion, love and interest? Confucius said ‘Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.’ That Confucius was a smart dude.

I know many of you have asked yourself this very same question. “What is the most effed up commercial ever?” I have the answer. You’re welcome.



I will never smoke again. Ever.

Let’s see, what else. I have been thinking about debt lately. Isn’t everyone in debt? Honestly. I never have cash and always use my debit card. For this reason alone, I feel like I always have money. Like there is no limit to the fun I can have. There is, but you know what I mean. I am wondering if it would be a better idea to take out a set amount of cash for the week. Then, if I run out....I can use my debit card. Haha! NO! Just kidding. If I run out of cash, I’m done. No more Starbucks or cupcakes. My only problem with that is how much cash do I allow for the week? Grocery shopping, gas, cawfee, entertainment. I suck at budgeting and anything that involves math. I need someone to tell me. Actually, I just need someone to take care of me. So, I guess it’s official. I either need to marry a rich man or a frugal man. Rich would be better, der, but frugal would balance me out. While I’m still taking applications for a rich husband, I will also consider applications for a financially responsible husband. Haha!

In the meantime, send me the names of anyone who falls into either category. I’ll enter them into the love calculator and see if it’s worth looking into. Thanks.

Oh, and by the way, blue M&M’s mend spinal injuries. The downside? You turn blue for a while. I think this would be super fun. My spine would be healed & I’d be blue. I would totally say things like ‘Oh, I’m feeling blue.’ and sign my name ‘Smurfette’ and randomly shout ‘Go, Toronto!!’ Yea…that’s what I’d do….if I were blue.





















To read the article, click here: Blue M&M's

*Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly! What a lovely topic about how many people actually enjoy their jobs. I used to love my job but then a co-worker has started to get under my skin and I can't stand her (my latest blog is actually about quitting my job!!)

    I loved my job because it was exactly what I wanted. Marketing. Event Planning. Yippie! I know that not a lot of people do what they want or work in the field they studied... it sucks. We have become a society where the amount you bring home is more important then waking up and looking forward to going to work.

    Sure, I understand how sometimes we have bad days/weeks at work. Nothing seems to go right, its a stressful time of year (end of year crap), you start to doubt your performance..but if you do this ALL the time then you are working at the wrong company.

    You may not have to LOVE your job but you do have to enjoy it. Dreading going to work isn't healthy at all.

    As for the money thing. You should only withdraw a certain amount for you to have weekly (not pay bills or groceries). Try to figure out how much money you spend a day and then just multiple it by 7 or by 5. Try to spend LESS then you do daily. I noticed that I used to buy a large iced coffee and muffin every day that was about 7$ a day (not including lunches that I would buy). Instead of budgeting 35$ for the work week I budgeted 25$ for the week for my coffee so I'd either buy a smaller size or buy a few days a week instead of everyday. Then I figured I spent 15$ a day for lunch...I budgeted only 10$ a day and then started bringing lunch... Once you start limiting yourself you get crafty.

    So when I sat down to figure out how much I spent a week just for WORK I realized that I spent about $160 a week just for coffee, lunch, and gas. Well, I started bringing lunch to work saving even that $10 a day I decided to allow myself, I'd alternate between iced coffee from Second Cup and making a hot tea at work.... At the end of every week any money I had left over from the $125 I ALLOWED myself to spend for coffee, gas, and lunch I would put into spending account for me. It's money that I use when I want to get myself a spa day, decide I need a new purse or pair of shoes, get my hair did....

    When you limit yourself to cash only you really start to save more money then using your debit card...


    Sorry for the long reply..

    ReplyDelete