July 2, 2009

Voodoo

Written March 13, 2008


Here’s a shocker for all mom’s out there. 1 in 4 teenage girls has a STD according to a report I read yesterday on MSN.com. Worldwide, 1 in 4 is over 3 million girls. In my worldwide….I know about 30, or more, teenage girls. That’s at least 7 girls that have or will have a sexually transmitted disease. Oh man. The most common is the virus that causes cervical cancer. Thankfully Amanda got the HPV shot. However, that isn’t 100% effective. Nothing is…other than abstinence. We’ve all been a teenager. We’ve all thought nothing bad would ever happen to us….but apparently it does. I don’t expect all teens to refrain from experimenting or having sex, I really don’t. What I do expect is that if you think you are mature enough to engage in sexual activities, be mature enough to speak to your parents, educate yourselves and, most of all, protect yourselves. Contracting a STD isn’t the worst that could happen. Teenage pregnancy, or death, is. Another PSA brought to you by me.


It’s been a weird week for me. Tuesday was school daze. Seriously. This girl, Lori, who I went to school with but didn’t know that well, found me on MySpace. She has 6 kids and lives in California. That’s freaking awesome! Then, one of my BFFs from high school, Tammie, sent me an email. Holy crap! She has been with the same guy for 20 years and had the cutest baby girl ever about 2 years ago. THEN!!! My boyfriend of 7 inconsistent years, David, sent me an email!! WOW! That’s some weird voodoo shit going on. I think its Elisa’s fault because she got the first email from an ex boyfriend on Monday. Stop it, Elisa. Stop with your weird voodoo shit!

My party is Saturday and I have nothing done. Zero. This means I will bust my ass on Saturday and be too tired to enjoy myself Saturday night. Loser. Plus, I decided to go see Flogging Molly Friday night instead of staying home and cleaning or whatever. I’m also letting Amanda have 6-8 girls sleep over that night. How crazy am I…wait…how responsible am I? Oh, yea….great role model. I’ll be passed out in some Guinness stupor while teen girls are running rampant contracting STD’s. AH! Just kidding. Haha! Anyway, I wonder what other parents must think…wait…I don’t give a crap what they think. Psh.

So, if you’ve been invited to Blarney 2nd Edition – I apologize in advance for the mess, the excessive cat hair, the rushed food and the lack of organization. Have a beer and shut up. If you haven’t been invited, just shut up.

I was with Steph the other day and we were talking about life, in general. It got me to thinking about two very important topics. Being grateful and loving yourself. We are all in a ‘keeping up the Joneses’ state of mind. Whether you want to admit it or not, we all are. We want bigger, better, faster, newer, stronger….more, more, more! It reminds me of Ali Baba Bunny where Daffy was screaming ‘Mine! Mine! Mine! Go away! There’s only enough for me! I’m rich! I’m a happy miser.’




Bugs Bunny cartoons were freaking awesome! Anyway, I am definitely guilty of not being satisfied. Yet I have so much! I really do! I totally do not need more shoes, purses, pictures, candles, paintings, anything. I need nothing. Period. I wondered at how often I take the time to be grateful for what I have. Not very often was my answer and it made me sad. I once heard that gratitude is like a seed. You plant it and it grows.

Wouldn’t life be somewhat grander, in the sense that matters, were we grateful instead of greedy? I don’t know about you, but I’m planting and will be grateful that I am. Loving yourself is more difficult. Not the egotistical, arrogant loving yourself…that shit deserves to be slapped. I mean the forgiving, encouraging, accepting loving yourself. It’s so easy for me to tell you all the wonderful things you are and I want you to believe me. Yet, when you tell me all the wonderful things I am, I don’t want to believe you. Why is that? It’s so easy to see, appreciate and love these things in other people. So why is it so hard to see it and love it in yourself?

You are a great friend, a wonderful mother, and a beautiful soul. You work really hard, you are good enough, you are talented, and you are a success. Everyone is flawed but you may be the only one who cares. Cherish who you are because others do. Imagine a world where we all are grateful for what we have, every day, and just live simply, while at the same time loving all that we are and all of those around us. That’s pretty intense. Oh, sorry. I’ve gone all hippie Buddha love and light on you. It happens at times.

Check out this artist: Matisyahu. He’s a Hasidic Jew, he doesn’t perform on the Sabbath and he was Billboard’s Top Reggae Artist of 2006! Elisa introduced me to him and I like him.



*Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment